Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The First Gift of Christmas!

Remember Santa calling out those words in the movie "The Polar Express?"

I received my first gift of Christmas on Monday evening.  I was surprised to receive a phone call from my friend, Marie - asking if she could stop by.  I put on a pot of coffee, and eagerly anticipated her visit.  Unfortunately, it seems that lately our paths head in opposite directions - and so any opportunity to get together is welcome.

A short while later, she and her lovely daughter appeared at our front door with this sweet gift.


Not just the origami paper tree.
Not just the ball ornaments.
But a tree filled with both!

I mulled it over in my dreams, and found the perfect spot to put the tree.
And then I started collecting things from the Christmas boxes and drawers.


A snow man for height.

A red plate.  Used for birthdays during the year, we often bring this plate out at Christmas as well.  It reminds us of our worth - because of Christ.  Because of the baby in the manger. The one we celebrate.


A glass cookie jar with a red lid.  I filled it with cookie cutters, a small "JOY" cross-stitch, and Christmas ornaments from forgotten places.  These ornaments don't have sentimental places in our hearts, and so I felt they were "up for grabs" for a project like this one.

Back in September, I found this great little Christmas-red crock, and thought I'd save it for a Christmas Project.  Today, I filled it with gold ball ornaments and a glittery poinsettia.


And lastly, I used a favorite Christmas dishtowel as a tree skirt.


The final vignette.
All inspired by that
sweet origami-filled tree.

Thanks Marie!


Good Life Wednesdays
The Lettered Cottage


2 comments:

  1. Sally, your friend's gift and your collection of supporting decorations are all delightful! What a beautiful impromptu Christmas collaboration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, I happened across your blog tonight and was so touched by your post! What a wonderful story for the season of giving...Christmas! You must be a good friend to have such good friends! I would love to have you share this post at my party! http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...