Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Recipe: Killer Hashbrown Casserole

This is the "awesome" potato casserole that I told you I was making for Easter dinner.  My mother-in-law shared the recipe with me (she knows I love it when she makes it!), but the recipe originally came from her niece in Minnesota.
It's really a no-fail recipe.  I've altered amounts of ingredients (within reason) depending what I had on-hand, and this "Killer Hashbrown Casserole" always seems to turn out deliciously.
It's definitely a special-occasion recipe for our family... being a little too rich for everyday -- though my son told me that he thinks I should make it 2-3 times a week.  Ummmm... No.  Not happening.  Nice to know he enjoys it as much as I do, though!

I hope you'll enjoy it too!



Killer Hashbrown Casserole 

2 lbs. frozen "Southern Style" (diced) hashbrowns
2 can cream of celery soup
1 T. dehydrated onion flakes
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. cubed "original" Velveeta
1 pt. sour cream
1 tsp. salt
1 stick margarine, melted
crushed cornflakes to make 2 cups

Allow hashbrowns to thaw a little -- particularly if you're baking immediately.

Mix all but margarine and cornflakes together well, and place in a 9x13 pan (or larger -- I actually use a rectangular pyrex pan that is a bit larger than 9x13, and it's FULL!)  Melt margarine, and drizzle over potato mixture.  Sprinkle crushed cornflakes on top.  Bake uncovered, 1 hour at 350F.

Most recently, for Easter, I made this casserole the day before (minus the margarine and cornflakes) and refrigerated until I was ready to bake on Easter Sunday.  Then, I added the margarine and cornflakes, and popped it in the oven.  The casserole was bubbling-hot after an hour in the oven, and since you bake UNcovered, the cornflakes are a crunchy topping!  Delish.

This is such a simple dish to have ready ahead of time, making dinner-time oh-so-easy!


Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I love potatoes and cheesy things so this looks like it could easily become a household fave here. :)

    toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks AMAZIING!!!!! ( I feel like I need some more exclamation points) :)

    Have a great day rock star!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That sounds like something my family would love! I'm pinning the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Project Inspire{d}.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally, I'm stopping by and following from the Bloglovin blog hop and I just printed out your recipe that's to die for! This looks amazing, I can't wait to try it!! ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the other day my students and I were talking about Hashbrown Casserole. They had made some for lunch and couldn't believe I'd never tried it. The one they made had meat in it so I couldn't try it but I'm pinning this so I can make it later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sally, Oh boy would I love a plate of your Killer Hashbrown Casserole! YUM! Thank you so much for linking your great recipe to Inspiration Cafe's Link party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm baby. That looks and sounds so good!! I bet I could add some jalapenos in there too for a little spice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sally how I wish I could make this - what is Velveeta and what could I use in place of it? Also what soup could I substitute? We dont get celery soup in New Zealand but my kids love hashbrowns, I have loads in the freezer, and I would love to try this. Thank you so much for lining up to Inspiration cafe xx Nat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you'll see this, Natalie, but Velveeta is a block of processed cheese that is made to melt well and stay pretty smooth. I found a recipe for a Velveeta substitute but haven't tried it yet. But the recipe creator tested many versions before she came up with this, so it's probably worth a try:
      http://www.momables.com/momveeta-i-cant-believe-its-not-block-cheese/

      For soup, do you have other canned soups available to you there? If so, maybe try using cream of potato soup (or cream of mushroom, for a little different flavor) and add some celery salt, omitting the 1 t. salt in the recipe above.

      Delete
  9. This is so different from our standard hashbrown casserole and I think I like the addition of mozzarella and celery soup! Thanks for sharing it at the Inspiration Cafe and I'm happy to be following you via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great - came over from Spatulas on Parade to check out, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...