Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sentimental Sunday: A Collection

I was intending to write a post about a pedestal candy dish, made by my grandma in a ceramics class.  I knew I had a picture of it in a collection of objects.  There it is below on the left.  It's tipped over for this photo.  Gram always kept Canada peppermints in it.  On rare occasions (like during the Christmas season) she would fill it with another type of candy.  But usually, it was the Canada peppermints.  I can probably count on one hand the times that we arrived at her house and the candy dish was not filled.  Usually when we left her house, it was empty, and two little girls had pockets full of mints.  Maybe I should only speak for one little girl.  I KNOW my pockets were filled.  We would give a shocked look when Gram said, "Where did all that candy go?"  It was a little game we played.


The dish didn't go with anything else my grandma had -- not that I can recall, anyways.  And it really doesn't go with anything I have either.  But I can't imagine putting Canada mints in anything but this sweet pedestal candy dish.

As I looked at the picture, I realized that the gold ceramic bud vase was also made by Gram.  It has held many a child-picked bouquet from my sister and I, and from my kids as well.  My mom passed it on to me, and I'm so glad that she did -- it's such a treasure!

As to the tea cup and saucer, my Great Aunt (Gram's sister) told the story that this set of cups and saucers were purchased by my grandma.  They were inexpensive, and plain without design.  The design was added later by a friend who was a painter.

I cherish these little treasures.  They have absolutely no earthly value.  It's all sentimental.

Sit Relax and Read


1 comment:

  1. They have the best kind of value. My grandmother and mother both did ceramics and I am about to start....I have a kiln...ekkk. I hope one day my grandkids will love the stuff I make as much as you love yours.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...