Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

On page 199 of  my Betty Crocker Cookbook (c.1980) there's a plain muffin recipe with lots of variations listed.  I follow the Pumpkin Muffin variation.  Betty recommends adding raisins, but in our family we make that chocolate chips -- in this case, semi-sweet.  The muffins themselves aren't very sweet, so the chips are the perfect touch.

One more way to use pumpkin at this time of year!  (YAY!)

I hope you'll enjoy the recipe as much as our family does!



Pumpkin Muffins
1 egg
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 c. flour (the book recommends NOT using wheat flour!)
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice**
1/3 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips


**The first time I made the recipe, I didn't have pumpkin pie spice in the house, so I used equal parts cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves - which in this case would translate to 1/2 tsp. each.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease bottoms of muffin cups, or use paper liners.  Beat egg; stir in milk, pumpkin, and oil.  Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).  Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.  Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Immediately remove from pan.  Makes about 1 dozen muffins.


Thoughts of Thankfulness:
27.  warm feet on a chilly day
28.  a jack-o-lantern full of stars glowing in the yard
29.  the thought (from "One Thousand Gifts") that "Thanksgiving CREATES abundance"
30.  today, mission-minded...  a reminder not just to "live at 30,000 feet"  thinking globally, but also right here on the ground level at home
31.  the way my hubby grabs my hand as I walk by
32.  the beauty of a stained glass window
33.  the sound of little voices


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...