Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Just Turn the Socks Right-Side-Out for Crying Out Loud!

How many of you wrestle with things on a daily basis?

Really big things, life changing things,
some things in the middle that are still important,
and then some little piddly daily things.

On the "things to be wrestled with" scale (I'm sure there is one), this one comes in as very piddly.  And yet -- I wrestle with it repeatedly (small as it is), and so I thought it might be worth mentioning.  You know -- to see if I am alone, or to see if anyone else can relate... at all.  (Back me up here, people.)

I will not turn this family's socks right side out one more time.
I will not.  Not before washing. Not after drying.
Not before putting away.  Not.  Not.  Not.
I will not.
[I totally see a Dr. Seuss book in my future, BTW]




And then a still small voice that grows a little louder every day speaks in my head:

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  (I Cor. 10:31)

So, really?  When I'm doing laundry?  Specifically, when I get to those darn socks?  WHEN I AM TURNING THOSE SOCKS RIGHT SIDE OUT, I shouldn't be frustrated with my family, but rather should be consciously doing this --even this-- to the glory of God?

And then, I hear more: 

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men..."  (Col 3:23)

That's pretty clear, isn't it?  In working for my family, I am ultimately working for the Lord. That begins to change my perspective.

Turn the socks right side out.
Before the washing.
Every time.
Don't worry about the family lessons.
Or when/if they will learn.
It's more important that they see Christ in everything I do.

That might be stretching it a bit
(to think that my family sees Christ in everything I do...).
But... I'm working on it.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...