Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Quiet is Overrated

I'm not gonna lie.  I am so missing my daughter this week.  For better or worse, she is the noise in our house.  I often think I'd like an "off" button (and we joke about such things), but when she's gone, I know that I could never really do without the buzz that she brings to our little hive.  In addition, she is my right arm -- complete with hand.  So, you know -- I miss that, too.


Our refrigerator [stay with me... same subject], that is less than 2 years old has starting making a noise that is the (in house) equivalent of a leaf blower, and in some moments, a jackhammer.  And, I have just realized the irony in this.  I thought this would be a quiet week with our daughter gone.  But, in my head, God is laughing.  He knows I don't love the silence as much as I think I do.


"Wanna make me some mac'n cheese?"
"Mama, I have a question."
"Hey Mom, I was thinkinnnnnn."
"Do you think we could go to... ?"
"What's for dinner?"

"Just curious, but.... "
"I feel like baking something.  What can I bake?"


These little "interruptions" in my day are what I cherish as a mom.  It's been an interesting couple of years in our home.  The transition into public school, one child and one year at a time has brought additional silence. All of it making me realize how much I love my motherly duties.  Duties perhaps, but what I love nonetheless.

Oh, and the NOISE.  I love the noise.  More than I ever imagined I could.


** For those of you who are wondering, the reports out of Chicago are good.  Much good is being done in the name of the Lord.  TRANSFORMATION is taking place.**

  • feeding the homeless
  • helping with VBS
  • working with disabled adults
  • cleaning up and fencing in a new "oasis" area outside a church -- a safe place for people to gather.


1 comment:

  1. So Psalm 46:10 is not a fav? Oh I know what you mean...it does take getting used to. Good thing that the week is half done. Great to hear the good news from Chicago. Best I've heard lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...