Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Simple Thoughts on The Golden Rule

I've always tried to teach our kids that building relationships
(even casual ones) is important.
I especially want them to be kind to people who wait on them.
Learn names.  Use names.
Recognize these servants as valuable individuals.

*
 Don't text while a bank teller is waiting on you.
She is giving you her attention.
You should be giving her yours.

** 
Have a conversation with the lady at the pharmacy about her vacation.
She took the time to tell you about it last month.
This month, ask her how it went.

*** 
When our kids were little and would go on grocery adventures with me, I would always encourage them to look at the cashier's name badge and talk to them.  They were friendly faces in our routine.  Once, when my daughter got separated from me in the store and felt "lost", one of these friendly faces found her, and then came to find me.  On another occasion, a different friendly face showed up in the pew behind us on Easter Sunday.  I'm glad to have formed these community relationships.

~~~
 Speaking for myself:
It's easy to get so caught up in my own busy life
that I forget that others have their own busy lives too!
Their lives are as important as mine
whether they are the person that bags my groceries,
or signs my paychecks.
And besides...
who doesn't like to be treated kindly?
How can I expect such behavior towards me
if I don't show it towards others?


Luke 6:31
 "Do to others as you would have them do to you." (NIV)



1 comment:

  1. I love this post! My husband and I always try to encourage the same of our girls. I think it is important to be polite and respectful, even at a young age. Those are very valuable lifelong lessons and I am sure they have served your children very well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...