Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The 411 on Ragweed & Hayfever

My poor girl.  She is really suffering with Hayfever this year.  She's been experiencing lot of different kinds of symptoms, and it's so frustrating to her as well as to me.  I feel like I never know what symptom to deal with first.  She takes a well-known prescription, as well as some OTC meds, and although they free her breathing, they do not stop the headaches.  I was beginning to wonder just what all the symptoms of Hayfever could be -- so I did a little searching.

I found out that there are MANY symptoms of Hayfever.  Following are just a few from this list.
  • Stuffy or runny noes
  • Sneezing
  • Irritation to the eyes
  • Coughing and Wheezing
  • Headaches
  • Sinusitis
  • Sleep deprivation due to other symptoms
  • Allergic Rhinitis which in itself is: Symptoms of a 'permanent cold'
  • Blocked stuffy nose
  • Headaches and earache
  • Constant sore throats and postnasal drip
  • Poor concentration

GREAT!  What a nice way to kick off the school year.  All of that crud, PLUS poor concentration.  Poor girl.  The Ragweed Allergy site also states that any one of these symptoms alone may not be Hayfever, but if you suffer from several, it's likely that you are a... victim (my word).

Not ragweed.  Just a place to rest your eyes...

So what's a mom to do?  The above-mentioned site recommends staying indoors with the windows closed, and driving places rather than walking.  Of course we've been enjoying the open windows and doors, and the breezes blowing through the house on these less humid days.  Guess it's time to turn the AC back on to see if she notices a difference.

ALSO - we are trying some nose drops (a sample that the doc gave us last summer, and she didn't end up needing).  I've always been so hesitant to start nose drops... I grew up with a friend who experienced allergies.  She used nose drops all the time, and had a constant *sniff*.  It was part of her rhythm -- like breathing.  I swore off nose drops FOREVER after that.  Famous last words, huh?

I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile,
do YOU suffer from Hayfever?
What is your best remedy?
Tell me about it!  (Please?) 

Interesting side note:  I also read this: *"People with Ragweed Allergy may also get symptoms when they eat cantaloupe and banana. Chamomile tea, sunflower seeds and honey containing pollen from Compositae family members occasionally cause severe reactions too."

Wow, who knew?  That made me do a little more searching, and I found this great site:  http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm, where I learned that the symptoms my daughter feels when she eats raw peaches, carrots, or apples are not just in her head - but related to a Birch pollen allergy! 

*CREDIT:  This and all ragweed/hayfever information in this post was gleaned from http://www.ragweed-allergy.com/.  There's all kinds of interesting information at this site.  Check it out!  They didn't ask me to tell you.  I just like to share good information.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally:
    Sometimes it helps to switch between those well-known allergy meds; some people's symptoms respond better to one than another. For example, if she takes Clarinex, try switching to Allegra.
    Re the nose sprays, they take a few days to kick in. Nasacort is one that helps us with our hay fever here in NJ.
    The key is to make a preemptive strike: start treating prior to symptoms kicking in. I have fall allergies and now know to start taking meds in mid-August to lessen my reactions. Good luck to your DD and you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...