Sunday, August 28, 2011

Homeschooling: Our Story - Part 3

...continued from Homeschooling: Our Story - Part 2


 So, what have I learned?
  • In hindsight, FEAR was the wrong reason to start homeschooling.  That said, we did what we thought was right at the time, and I don't regret it.
  • Schooling options MUST BE about what is right for your family.  The best advice that I ever received was to take it one year at a time.  I never committed to homeschool our children through graduation.  The thought can be overwhelming, and I never knew what was around the next corner.  (Thank the good Lord!  Amen?)
  • It's okay to have different schooling options within your family.  What works for one child might not work for the other.  Be okay with that so that your kids know it's okay.
  • If you're struggling with moving on from homeschooling, you may need "forgive yourself" like I did.  I needed to get over myself, and move on -- remembering that really, this is all about my son and not about me.
  • Listen to other people's stories, but be brave enough to do what's right for your family.  This might mean deviating from the "norm."
  • Be still, and know that God is God.  (Hard, hard, hard, but vitally important!)
Closing Disclaimer
Please know that even if it seems I have expressed my opinions strongly, it is only due to the unequivocal JOY in knowing that we have traveled down the right path.  Your journey may be entirely different - and your decisions entirely different (as well they should be).  May your journey be successful.  Go with God.
    The end
    (Of the beginning!)


      0 comments:

      Post a Comment

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...