Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homeschooling: Our Story - Part 2

This post is not for everyone.  Oh, everyone is free to read it, but not all will understand or appreciate it.  I am writing it for the one person who may.

...continued from Homeschooling: Our Story - Part 1

Connections and Confirmations
We started pursuing schooling options for our son.  We pursued a few things that didn't work out, and ultimately enrolled him in our own local school system.  I dreaded the day that we would meet with the guidance counselor and principal.  I had heard some frustrating stories about what homeschooling parents had to do to enroll their children in public school.  (I have since heard that the particular school systems in question are known for being difficult, and that this is not the case across the board - or as we have since experienced personally.)

Freshmen and new students were to start on Aug. 24th.  They called it "Connections Day," and it was to be a day of abbreviated periods where students met teachers, as well as a day of get-to-know-you activities.  That day dawned dark and stormy, but turned into a beautiful one.  Around 2PM, I received a phone call from my son saying that he drank a substance accidentally after walking into a teacher-directed experiment LATE, and having not heard/received the proper instructions.  The liquid was... not meant to be ingested.  (He thought it was... water.)

Suffice it to say that Poison Control needed to be called just to be on the safe side.  Turns out, my son did not swallow, and everything is really fine.  Also suffice it to say that I made my own "CONNECTIONS" that day - with several office personnel, the school nurse, and the Assistant Principal!  Every one of them was so kind and considerate, and wondering after my son and his welfare.  {The Asst.Prin. even offered to personally drive my son home rather than send him on the bus!}

The first "real" day of school started off with much nicer weather.  There were no phone calls from my son, but he did get called to the office.  You might think that's a bad thing, but, they merely wanted to check on how he was feeling!

We have had a good laugh over the fact that much of the school staff knew our son by name before the first official day of school.  But I believe it is a "God Thing."  You see, my son started building relationships right away -- and that might not otherwise have happened.  God definitely has a plan for our son right where he is.  I truly believe this.  And, to satisfy a worried mom, God has shown me that he has placed people around my son who are really watching out for him.  God has truly confirmed to us that this is how it's supposed to be. 

He came home the first day, and stood in the kitchen for 40 minutes telling me all about his day.  He shared details about each class and teacher, and is sure that he's really going to like them all.  It was really all this mom could do to keep her mouth shut and her jaw from dropping.  (This is my son?)

I am beyond thankful at this point.  I'm not naive enough to think that there won't be struggles.  The work hasn't started yet.  It's still the honeymoon, I know.  But -- I have seen God provide, and I know that he will continue to do so.

to be continued...


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...