Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27th ~ Going Home Again

Christmas Eve 
The day started with one of us having a migraine, and another of us having had an absolutely sleepless night.  The result?  Two of the four of us went back to bed for several hours.  Immediately, I adjusted my expectations for the day.  The ice skating and pretzel baking - new traditions started last year - would have to wait.  I'm glad that I "released" those things early in the day so they did not rob me of any joy!

{Note: I feel like I've grown up a little this Christmas.  To those of you who blogged about JOY -- thank you for your insight.  It changed the way I approached this Christmas season.}

We arrived early for the 6PM Christmas Eve church service because our son was in a skit.  His costume?  Full camo.  A faithful church lady met him at the door and asked him if he was a soldier boy.  Even at 16, he looked the part.  I observed the scene, with a tear in my eye... 

Afterwards, we enjoyed a quick dinner at home. Then it was off to my in-laws for a wonderful family time with my husband's family - giving the gift of time - time that seems so fleeting during the year.

Christmas Day
The "Want.Need.Wear.Read." gift ideas worked again to give us a clutter-free Christmas morning, helping to keep our hearts in tune with the things that really matter.  It was a quiet morning -- each one enjoying their gifts, watching movies, playing games...

Then, it was over the river and through the woods...  We had an amazing time at my parents' with my sweet sis and her family too.  Just like always.  No need to ask, or wait to be invited.  Peel the potatoes and bring the brownies.  Sweet memories were made - yes, more of them.  Just when we think our hearts are bursting at the seams with all of the memories... there are more.  Ever thankful for them, we find little empty corners to stash them in.

I paused to wonder: Who was it that said, "You can't go home again?"  I think they were wrong.  You CAN go home again, and it's never better than at Christmas-time.

 After dinner, and before dessert, we go around the table and read our assigned scripture passage
relating to the Christmas story.  This has been a precious tradition through the years
-as each of the five grandchildren has learned to read.


The Day After Christmas
We enjoyed another gathering with my husband's family - relishing the homecoming of a nephew, a sister, a brother-in-law.  We were glad for another reason to be together.  There was TONS of laughter.  We're so thankful for relationships that have been healed over the years, and hearts that have been changed.

What was the best part of your Christmas?  Was it something that is a tradition for your family -- something it would not be Christmas without?  Or, did you do something new this year that was a success?

Either way, I'm hoping that your Christmas was filled with joy!  Feel free to share in the comments.  I love to read what you have to say.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...