Monday, April 11, 2011

Decoupage 101 - No Rules

So, here's my story.

In tidying up the basement the other day, I found a collection of old books - including an old hymnal that came from my grandparents' home.  I didn't find any dates in the hymnal - but it's an oldie!  (Original cost for cloth bound hymnal = 35 cents!)

My thought was that it would be nice to have that hymnal represented in some way in our home without the book itself (which was falling apart) laying around to be further ruined.  How to make it a keepsake? - that was the question.  It had been in hiding too long.  What was the point of keeping it hidden away?

I also noticed a melamine Christmas plate that hadn't been put away with the other Christmas items.

I wondered if I could combine the two items, and make a decorative plate with a "nod" to some great hymns.  Here's what I started with:
  • a 10" square melamine plate
  • an old hymnal w/ yellowed & tattered pages
  • Modge Podge (matte finish)
  • a foam brush

I started by tearing out parts of key hymns that I knew
and wanted to include on the front of the plate.
I set those aside.


Then, I used scraps, and pages with unknown songs
to decoupage the border of the plate.
(Good-bye Christmas reindeer!)


Once the border was covered, I added the chosen pages
(from above).


I've decided to cover the front and back of the plate in case it would be seen from the back.  (I have a plate stand in mind.)   It doesn't matter so much what is around the edges or on the back -- so I can use the random leftover pieces.


 Here's the (almost) final product in the plate stand.
As I was taking pictures, I realized I have a few
odd little spots to cover.

I'm thinking about adding a touch of color somewhere on the plate.
Perhaps a little cluster of buttons?
Any suggestions?

Fox Hollow CottageThirty Hand Made DaysPhotobucket
Good Life WednesdaysAll Things Heart and Home


13 comments:

  1. Or maybe a little cross on it somewhere? It looks great:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea. And it turned out super. Maybe a few buttons and a bit of vintage lace. It is actually very nice just the way it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea - turned out wonderfully. I'm a new follower from BC's Good Life Wednesday. Hope you'll come visit sometime: http://SallyLeeByTheSea.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! a white rosette perhaps on the side? Thanks so much for stopping by at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Just popping over from Sarah's Good Life Wednesday. It is lovely to meet you.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    Gg - Notes on the Journey
    Good Life Wednesday #46

    ps. I see you saved the good songs for the front of your piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really special. I love that you used something so meaningful to cover the plate. I am your latest follower. I would love if you would come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good. I think rosettes would be the perfect accent for this little plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOW.ADORABLE. Love it. Want one of my own. I'm a huge lover of MP, and think it goes well on EVERYTHING! :-) Anyway - found you via PPassions linkup, thought I'd comment since it's SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so, so cool! Brilliant even. I've never taken the Mod Podge plunge, but I've always wanted to. Now I just need to find a project to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sally;

    I think it is perfect as is; no further embellishment!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Pretty! A friend of mine is looking for a pretty way to display some music sheets on top of her piano so I'm going to point her in the direction of this lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute...gotta love Mod Podge! Stopping by from Debbiedoo's! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...