Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Hope is in the Lord


If you have read THIS PREVIOUS POST, then you will not be surprised to learn that our dear family friend went to be with the Lord on December 26.  He was 84 years old.  He left 4 children and their spouses, 12 grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren, and many, many dear friends.  The memorial service at the church was beautiful, and the brief ceremony at the cemetery even more emotional, as there was an honor guard.

As we hugged our friends, and prepared to leave the cemetery, his daughter (my girlfriend since 6th grade) held me and said, 

"I pray that Jesus returns before you EVER have to go through this!"

It was a blessing that took my breath away.
It made me more aware of three things.

1. How raw and real my friend's grief was - even though she is a believer, and knows that she will see her beloved parents again in Heaven.

2. How much I love my parents.

3. How much I look forward to Jesus' return.

The words of this old hymn came to me today...
My hope is in the Lord, who gave Himself for me.
And paid the price of all my sins at Calvary.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.


No merit of my own, His anger to suppress,
My only hope is found in Jesus' righteousness.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.


And now for me He stands, before the Father's throne,
He shows His wounded hands, & names me as His own.
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.


His grace has planned it all, 'tis mine but to believe,
And recognize His work of love, and Christ receive
For me He died, for me He lives,
And everlasting light and life He freely gives.

(Hymn lyrics and Music by Norman J. Clayton)


2 comments:

  1. So very sorry to read of your friend's passing, but happy to read he had 84 wonderful years here on earth.
    We, too have had sadness over the holiday, a dear friend of mine dad passed away on the 29 (he is my dad's age!) and the band teacher's (for my eldest son) husband passed away at 38 years old.
    I lost my tennis partner friend in July too. He passed away on the very tennis court we played on several times a week. He actually was the station manager of our local Christian radio. He is deeply missed but I know his faith was as strong as it gets and he is resting (or playing tennis-lol) peacefully in heaven! :)
    Take care you!
    I feel so blessed to have come across your blog via Ali E.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sally-drinkingfrommysaucer.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
    Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...