Friday, January 7, 2011

Cranberry-Orange Bread

I love this bread recipe from my Mom.  It's dangerous to have it at our house though, because I am (usually) the only one who enjoys it.  (Imagine.)  Yes, dangerous indeed.  It is a pretty and fragrant bread to give as a gift, too! -- just sayin.  I love to make it at the holidays because it looks so festive.  Yesterday, I realized that I still had cranberries left -- so one more loaf for us (me)!

A couple of years ago I made several attempts at the bread, and most of them failed.  Something was just not right.  Perhaps a key ingredient got skipped?  This year, I decided to head failure off at the pass.  I really wanted this potentially yummy bread to turn out this time.  So, I rearranged the instructions to be more similar to the way I prepare a banana bread recipe (which always turns out).






Mom's Cranberry-Orange Bread
1/4 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
1 well-beaten egg
3/4 c. orange juice
1 T. grated orange peel (fresh, or dried)
2 c. flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh cranberries*, halved
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional

*  I buy my cranberries as soon as they go on sale for the season.
I rinse them, halve them, and put them in the freezer.
As I make loaves of this bread, I just pull out the frozen berries, and add them to the batter.

In a mixer, cream the margarine and sugar.
Add the egg, orange juice, and orange peel.
Add all dry ingredients, and mix well.
Add cranberries, and fold into batter.  Turn into a greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until center is firm.

ENJOY!  (or share!)
 A little honesty?  It's quite possible that I was
not paying attention to the fact that this recipe 
calls for baking SODA and baking POWDER.  Don't make my mistake!




I'm linking up with Mique over at 30 days - thirty handmade days 
for her first "Pity Party" of 2011!
Done something creative lately?  Come join the fun!


giveaways


3 comments:

  1. I love cranberry bread - and I've got some left in the freezer, too! Isn't it wonderful to share and pass down recipes from loved ones?

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! That looks so good. I love cranberry and orange anything.
    Thanks for linking up to my Pity Party!
    xo,
    Mique

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the same recipe my family uses- and I actually have a package of cranberries in my crisper just waiting to be used for that very purpose! Thanks for the reminder ( and for making my stomach growl...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...