Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A First Time for Everything

I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions.  Why?  Because... I'm not a super hard-core, goal-oriented kind of girl.  (Go ahead, "awwww, poor girl!"  I hear you out there.)  I'm just being real people.  I'm more of a "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" kind of girl.  So, you know the whole resolution thing just kind of sweeps right by my without much credence.  Totally lost on me.  I know.  Pitiful.


But, I'll tell you one thing that I have experienced guilt over during the last year -- and wish to do better at it.... birthday cards.  I used to be the girl that had a card in the mail for everyone's birthday.  I was great at it.  And then, you know... stuff happens.  You have kids, you start pinching pennies, and the cost of a greeting card goes up.  Yeah.  Stuff like that.

You may remember that I wrote THIS post that was pretty scrooge-y.  But since I posted it, Jill and I have come to an agreement that we won't do cards -- and we promised not to be offended over it.  P-R-O-M-I-S-E-D.  Here's the thing though: we do gifts.  And I say if a person's handing you a gift in person, what's the purpose of a card?


On the other hand, there are lots of family and friends with whom I do not exchange birthday gifts.  And for them, I realize it's nice to receive a card that says your remembered on your special day.  For some reason, 2012 was a rotten year for me when it came to keeping up with those cards.  Right up to the very last days of the year... rotten.  I forgot so many birthdays, and then when I'd remember one, I'd feel guilty sending a card to that person since so many previous birthdays had been forgotten during the year.  I know.  Messed up, right?


In 2013, I am turning over a new leaf.  I'm going to purchase some birthday cards HERE to have on hand.  Since I know that half the battle for me (at least during the winter months) is actually going out to buy the card, I'm going to be ready!

So... I guess... maybe... I've made my first New Year's Resolution.  Ever.

Well, you know what they say.  There's a first time for everything.

Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. Boy do I get the guilt thing. I get that way over calling people. I'm the worst phone person in the world and avoid it like the plague. I'm really awkward on the phone and never know when to get off, or how to say when I have to go so I just avoid. Isn't that weird?! I'm a face to face girl (or email/text) but I know I need to be better at it because it's just the act of reaching out, right? Kind of like cards.

    Happy new year!!
    Sash

    ReplyDelete
  2. A way to donate your old cards to a good cause (once you have enough tags, at least):

    http://www.stjudesranch.org/shop/recycled-card-program/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...