Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Frosted Flowers

After having a series of very warm days, my hubby looked out the window the other morning to see frost covering our lawn.  He chuckled and made a comment about all the "flowers for sale" that would no doubt be marked down after the frost had gotten them.


Fast forward to Monday...  Earth Day.
My husband called on his lunch-hour... did I want some flowers on sale for $1 a flat?  Pansies, Violas, and Petunias.  Why yes, of course.  He had predicted correctly.  Flowers were marked down  -- at least at Lowe's.


After dinner, we worked out in the yard.  Sort of a spontaneous Earth Day project -- how appropriate!  With the flowers that my hubby brought home, my daughter and I filled four pots of various sizes.  One sits on the patio right outside the kitchen window, and is filled with shades of purple and white.  So pretty!


Our daughter was excited to fill a large planter along the driveway that she walks by every afternoon when she comes home from school.  And that's the pot that I usually forget to water -- so I've assigned it to her.  Maybe those flowers will actually live this year.  One can hope.


Admittedly, it's a little early to be planting in the ground around here -- as our weather the last few days has proven.  But, who says I can't fill up some pretty pots "on the cheap?"


Most of the damage to these flowers seems to be the blooms.  But guess what?  New blooms are coming -- so why be worried about the flowers that have already bloomed as long as the plant still looks healthy?  I love a good bargain, don't you?


Did you do anything "green" on Earth Day?
Planned or spontaneous?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...