Thursday, November 21, 2013

Things ONE, TWO, THREE and FOUR! (love 'em!)

Another successful morning (Day TWO) with my nieces, and everyone was delivered on time to school.  Today was hat day, so even as we scurried out the door, we stopped in the driveway for a picture.  But DRAT, I did not pack the cord that allows me to transfer my photos from camera to computer, so I am stuck.  Trust me, they were cute.  I'm pretty sure that by the time we reached school, 3/4 of them had switched hats and hair-styles.  Oy.


Many years ago, I babysat a fabulous family of FOUR children -- and the scurrying of this week has brought back many memories.  I used to tease those four (one girl, and 3 boys) and say that they were my training for motherhood -- and they really were.  My kids don't even realize how they have benefitted because of their… "predecessors!"  ha!


I've been getting up earlier than the girls (my usual waking time at home) and packing lunches.  By the time I wake them, I can help with their breakfasts and morning meds -- and today, I had time to make a cup of tea and sit and chat with them before we left for school.


In our chat, I asked "Thing Two"* if I was doing a good job of keeping things organized.  She said yes. Then I asked her if I was being too much of a DRILL SERGEANT.  I'm pretty sure her Air Force daddy has taught her diplomacy, because she was gracious in her answer.

* Referring to the Dr. Seuss characters, & what the girls often refer to themselves as… and they have shirts to prove it!)

My Paperwhites at home.  I'm sure they are much bigger now!

But… if Drill Sergeant is what it takes to get the job done in my short term assignment, then so be it.  At least I can say that I've gotten them to school on time, and have been there to pick them up on time each day!  Hurray for that!  I told their daddy that this household is a "well-oiled machine" -- and it truly is.  The girls really know how things work around here, and it has been absolutely stress free!  (Hurray for THAT, too!)



'13 Gratefulness
* grateful for my FOUR healthy and happy nieces
* grateful for their mom & dad's chance to get away and do something special
* grateful for "timing" that allowed me to help
* grateful for nice weather this week
* grateful for four fabulous hugs I received this morning at school (the strongest from "Thing One") -- and "I love yous" all around!
* grateful for the sweet daily notes of encouragement that my daughter left in my suitcase
* grateful for a morning phone conversation with my son


Feel free to chime in with a comment!  What are you grateful for today?


4 comments:

  1. A home that functions well is a delight! Your nieces sound delightful, too! I had never thought of it before, but my children benefited from the practice I received from caring for others' children, too. And, some children somewhere are probably doing well because their moms got some practice with mine. = D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could perhaps use your services to keep me moving and organized, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...