Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Overwhelmed? Do a Sweep!

I don't know about you, but I live in my kitchen.  I don't have an office, or a craft room, or a finished basement. Now, none of this is me complaining.  Just statement of fact.  You can imagine that my kitchen "suffers" from all that goes on in it.  I'm not just cooking and baking.  I'm blogging, bill-paying, crafting, and seasonally decorating here in the kitchen as well, and from time to time it gets... overwhelming, and I have to STOP and do a sweep.

This kind of sweep doesn't involve a broom, but rather a trick I learned many years ago as a young mom. Perhaps it will help you get out from under things today.  Let me share what I mean -- it's so simple!

When things get overwhelming (meaning my kitchen is loaded down with stuff that A. doesn't belong here in the first place, or B. just needs to be put away), I have to take my eyes off the big picture (afterall, that's what is overwhelming me), and look at each separate area.

I start in a corner -- for me, it's the end of a counter-space -- and I work my way around the kitchen counter-clockwise..  I move in a direction that works naturally with the flow or layout of my room.

My first tiny counter-space involves the toaster.  Unplug.  Set back in corner.  Brush away toast crumbs.

Next, the stove-top.  Wipe clean, and work on any stuck on food spots.  Put away pots and pans and clean dishes that land here.

Onto a bigger area of counter-space.  Put food/dish items away.  Tidy up what belongs there.  Wipe down counter.

The sink... yada yada.  You get the idea.


The whole process doesn't take long at all, but it's amazing how I feel when it's done -- like my life is back in order again.  After tackling the counter-spaces, I finally arrive at the kitchen table.  Sometimes during the process, lots of odds and ends wind up here.  I make myself take the time to put things where they belong, and wipe down the table.

And now, I'm ready for whatever's next.  The cobwebs get swept out of my brain while I'm going through this routine, and I end up with a fresh work place!  A place for everything, and everything in its place, and aaaaaaah -- a big sigh of relief.

This kind of sweep works in any room, and it's a great way to tidy up in a hurry.  If you circle the entire room, it's hard to miss things.  I usually dust this way as well, so that I don't miss a spot.


'13 Gratefulness
* grateful to have caught up on so many things around the house, so that I don't feel overwhelmed when I return from my trip
* grateful for my sweet daughter who is ever my encourager
* grateful for that amazing "Billy Goat" that my hubby used to clean up all of our leaves, and for my hubby's hard work too
* grateful to see the Cleveland Pear trees turn to gold before my trip

Feel free to chime in with a comment!  What are you grateful for today?


3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful housecleaning tip and one used by the professionals. And it's always easier to break up a big job in small chunks. Now you can sit back and admire your newly organized kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that tip... i sort of do that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your sweep! I need to do this too. .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...