I've been itching for a change of scenery around my kitchen window. My window is over the sink and, as you can imagine, it is my window on the world. From time to time, I like a change. I've kind of been longing for open windows and curtains blowing in the breeze. I knew I wanted something light-weight -- and something that would work for a valance as well as a cafe' style bottom tier. I wanted to get a little creative and "different" with
I already had some cafe' rings and a tension-rod that I'd used in this window before -- so I was all set. The 30" towels were long for the bottom section of my window, so I merely folded the top edge over, estimating where to put the cafe' rings so there were no huge gaps. I estimated on where to fold the towel too. I just held it up and eyeballed it, clipping it into the cafe' rings as I went. I'm pretty sure some of these cafe' rings have been lost over the years, because I only had a grand total of 9 -- which meant I could use an even FOUR on each side. I wasn't sure if that would be enough, but I DO like the end result. It gives a "looser," and less tailored look.
As for the top valance, I simply folded the remaining two dish-towels in half, and placed them over a wide tension rod. I spread each towel along the rod in ruffle-style, and had them meet in the middle. Admittedly, these dish-towels are not perfectly square. As I pressed them, I realized this -- so I was prepared for imperfection as I hung them. I tweeked them here and there, but you can see that the result is a casual, unstructured look. Just what I was going for!
It's a PERFECTly fresh new look for spring and summer -- and I can tell you that I've already gotten my $3.99 out of the project!!! I am so tickled with the result!
FOUR dish-towels for curtains = $3.99