Tuesday, May 1, 2012

All The Things I Don't Have

Last week, I kind of... window shopped while I read blogs.  I gathered ideas.  On Friday, when I had a chance to get to Target (yes, all my finds were at Target -- big surprise!), I took my handy list and went looking for all of the goods.

1.  Fleur de lis tealight candle jars.  I forget what blog I spotted these on.  They were so, so C-U-T-E!!!  Reminded me of mason jars, and seemed like a "must have."  They were supposed to be $2.50 (I thought each) in the dollar section at Target.  I laughed out loud when I saw them.  In reality, they were a set of 3 for $2.50, and were literally teeny tiny --just barely big enough to hold a tealight.  I had been more than deceived by the blog pictures, I guess.  I was totally imagining that these were "normal" mason-jar-size, and at $2.50ea, I was thinking I might be willing to purchase a few.  In reality, I wasn't willing to pay $2.50 once!  They were an easy "PASS" for me.

2.  Meanwhile, on the "Target Savers" page on Facebook, they mentioned that the White Stoneware Pantry Collection was 50% off this week.  This is a cute collection.  I thought about buying the cow-creamer (not shown), or those sweet milk cartons -- or maybe a milk bottle.  Another "PASS" -- NOT on sale around here!  Fuh-get-about-it.


I confess, I was kind of proud of myself... going out with a big plan, and having the will power to say no.  Me and Will Power aren't usually friendly.  All the way home I was thinking: 


All of those "things" (though cute) would've just taken up more space -- and that's at a premium around here. Believe me, I like buying new things as much as the next person. But, I'm learning where to draw the line, I guess.

On Saturday morning I got up, and opened e-mail to read a lovely note from Heather at Post Road Vintage.  In it, she recommended a visit to Andrea at Faded Plains -- and specifically recommended a post about what camera Andrea uses.  I was inspired.  You can click the link to Andrea (above) to read it.  She uses a simple point-and-shoot camera, and is about the only blogger (other than myself) that I've ever heard admit to that!  Get this, she also (like me) doesn't know a thing about PhotoShop, and just uses PicMonkey (like me)!

I left Andrea a comment saying that she had inspired me to keep using what works, and to keep things simple.  I don't need a fancy camera, or fancy photo-editing software.  I kind of like doing things the simple way.  Why am I telling you all of this?  Because, I want to encourage you to keep on keeping on with what you have, and learn how to use it to your advantage.

I know I've shared with some of you via e-mail (when responding to comments) that my camera is an Olympus fe-3010 12 megapixel.  It's the camera I had when I started blogging. No upgrade.  No money spent.  I've learned to work with what I have.  My blog is not a photography blog, so I have an "out" when a shot isn't the greatest.  On the other hand, as I've learned to work with my camera, and learned to put some of the quiet little features to work for me, I've often been pleasantly surprised with the outcome.


Did you "pass" on anything today?

Are you trying to "simplify?"

Have you learned to "make do"
with something you have
rather than spend money on something new?


3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, Sally that we must learn to draw lines. I quit garage sale-ing, thrift storing etc quite some years ago. No more flat space available in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very first digital camera purchased in 2002 was an Olympus and it took better photos than any other I have ever had I think. I sold it or gave it away some years ago, but really enjoyed that camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this blog post! Hope you're having a great week! <3xojo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...