Saturday, November 6, 2010

Frost on the Pumpkin!

Actually, there was a little more than frost on the pumpkin this morning...


Happy Saturday!  Today is definitely feeling fall-ish around here.  This morning we woke up to a yard filled with leaves, & each leaf was covered with a little snow - as were the rooftops!  I'm not sure I'm ready for this, are you?  Yesterday (yes, just yesterday) we finally broke down & turned the furnace on - so that is somewhat of a relief.  But, we still like to have lots of blankets around for snuggling.  We're big on snuggling around here.  During these fall/winter months, we're big on soup too.  So, I thought I'd share a recipe today.  It's basically my Gram's recipe for Chili.  Our family has altered it a little through the years, but I make it a LOT & always think of her when I do.



Gram's Chili
2 cups tomato juice (Gram used 1 med. can of tomatoes)
1 can tomato soup
1 T. dehydrated onion (Gram used 1 med. onion, chopped fine)
1 lb. ground round (cooked, & drained well)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 can kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
1 green pepper (chopped fine)
3 ribs of celery (chopped fine)
3 cups water
(Gram also used 1/4 lb bacon, cooked well & chopped fine)


I make this recipe in the crock pot so I can just forget about it and have a taa-daa! dinner.
  
Cook the ground round, drain well & combine w/ the rest of the ingredients.  Cover your crock pot, and cook on low all day, or on high for 1/2 the day.  I've been happiest with the all-day results.  The flavor is much better!  

Stay warm today... do some snuggling... eat soup (and think of my Gram if you make this recipe!)




1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I was wondering whether you would like to link this in to Food on Friday: Chillies and other spicy stuff. This is the link. You did some time ago link in a great dish to Food on Friday: Bacon. I now realize that I haven't been following your blog. Sorry about that. I have signed up to follow now. It would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter back. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...