Monday, August 20, 2012

JOY Hangs Around Here

When we were in Charleston earlier this summer, my sweet hubby (remembering one of my favorite words: JOY) bought me two stone pendants.  Each had the word "JOY" on it, and each had a hold drilled all the way through it for hanging.  I've been thinking about what I could do with them.

joy

The other day, I went to Michael's, and got thin leather cording, and some coordinating beads to match the purple medallion.

purple beads

I'm pretty proud of myself.  I know it's only "beginner" level as far as jewelry-making goes.  But, my goal was to create something that I'd actually wear --not to master the art of jewelry-making.

joy

My one frustration (me being a bead-novice and all) was that when I got home, and unstrung the beads, I realized that not all of them had the same size hole in the middle.  Therefore, even though I had picked a very thin leather cording, only about 2/3 of my beads would fit.  (Have you ever had this happen to you?)  I had to adjust my plan a little bit.  Even so, I'm happy with the result.

joy

On Sunday, I wore my new necklace to church - along with a big smile.  (You have to smile when you have JOY hanging around your neck!)

I might have to try the blue stone next... I'm wondering if I should make the same thing... or do something different?  Perhaps a keychain?  Ooooh, yes.  I like that idea.  If I follow through, I'll keep you posted.

joy

Coming up for us this week:
Tuesday = "Connections" day for new freshmen (mandatory attendance)
<you can read about last year's adventure HERE.>
Wednesday = First Day for all other students.

*heavy sigh*  The end of an era for this (former homeschooling) mama.  I think I will probably cry hard for a few minutes, and then I'll be good.  Pretty much planning on that.

It'll sure be quiet around here!  Are your kids back in school?

2 comments:

  1. Embrace the quiet! (Or call your sister!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your necklace turned out cute and you're right~How could you not walk into church without a smile on your face with Joy hanging around you! Can't wait to see the key chain that you make.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...