Thursday, August 23, 2012

Recipe: Molasses Sugar Cookies

Tuesday was "Connections Day" for freshman -- my daughter's first day of school.  Yesterday was my son's first day.  I've been thinking of them like crazy during the day.

A dear friend just took her son to college over the weekend.  So, we know a little of one another's... ?angst?  Truth be told, I only have an inkling of what she must be feeling, but nevertheless, we have adopted the same mantra for this school year:  "God is good, and loves my kids even more than I do!"  What a comfort it is to rest in that.

So, while I was resting (and picking up clothes, and making my bed, and doing laundry, and folding towels, and running errands.... HA!  What, you thought I'd be eating bonbons?), I thought I would whip up some Molasses Sugar Cookies (read: BAKE some bonbons) for my kids' after-school snack.

Hey, you didn't think after-school snacks were just for little kids, did you?  Big kids come home with a big hunger.  (Television commercials don't lie about that, at least.)

This recipe is an old family favorite, and super easy!

As I baked these cookies, I realized that while my kids were at home being homeschooled, we did a lot of little special things that we no longer get to do together.  So, it makes me happy to be able to do a little something to show them that I'm still thinking about them during the day.


Molasses Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. margarine
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Melt margarine & cool a little.  Add sugar, molasses, and egg.  Beat well.  
Add dry ingredients, and mix until incorporated completely.
Chill.
Form into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar.
Place on cookie sheet about 2" apart.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Do not overbake.

ENJOY!


1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! My girls sure love an afternoon snack! I do as well! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...