Thursday, February 27, 2014

[Heart Thoughts] On Rocking Babies...

Several mornings a week, just for a couple hours, I rock babies in our church nursery.  International babies that don't know my face or my language.  Church babies that know me.  Sweet toddlers that recognize me from day-to-day and week-to-week.  Some like to snuggle.  Some are too busy -- or just not cuddle-bugs.  For others, the only peace is "the swing."

I have been baby-rocking since the fall.  I work with some wonderful ladies -- and we have had the privilege of seeing little ones roll over, crawl, walk, eliminate morning naps, "graduate" to cheerios for a snack and from bottles to sippy cups, and speak first words.

It has been most gratifying to form relationships with these little ones... to earn their trust... to learn what calms them.  To go from blank stares to smiles across the room.  From a too-big basket of toys to "the one" that makes them happy every week.  From cleaning up the room ourselves, to having little helpers fill the toy baskets back up at the end of the morning.

What a privilege to be trusted by these moms to care for their little ones.  To serve the correct bottle, or cup, or snack that won't cause allergies.  To make sure every diaper is changed in that two-hour interval.  To give attention to their precious treasures.


When I checked in the other morning, a friend greeted me from the welcome desk, and asked why I was there. When I told her, she shook her head and said, "Bless you for doing that... not everyone would love that job!"

While it's a little stunning for me to think that not everyone would love to rock a baby, I have learned over the years that not everyone is "built" to serve in the same capacity.  After all, as the Body of Christ, we each have our purpose... the hands, and feet, and eyes, the ARMS of Christ!  I have served in various capacities at two churches in my adult life, and there is nothing (nothing) that I love better than holding a baby, learning what makes them happy and what calms them, and interacting with them... singing "Jesus Loves Me," and watching how it soothes them.  I have held more "titled" positions, but I would argue that this is perhaps the most important position I've held.

I'm so thankful to be able to "love on" these little ones!

With love to Dylan, Sophie, Levi, Jessa, Akihito, Coco, Elliott, Joshua, Ellie, Cole, Keisuke, Liam, Charlotte, Bella, and Henry. xo


3 comments:

  1. Rocking babies is sooooo healthful, too! For the one who rocks (and enjoys it) a lowering of blood pressure, for the one rocked...the stimulation of brain activity. Yes, rocking is necessary for emotional well being and human growth. I am so glad that they have you, one who recognizes the joy of serving even the most wee ones, to perform this task. You describe it so lovingly and well. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious. I can tell that you love giving from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for this simple gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...