Monday, June 17, 2013

Not My Mama's Blue

This is a story about a girl who lived in a blue house.  Well, no.  The outside wasn't painted blue, but inside... the predominant color was blue.  I was that girl, and blue wasn't my favorite color. 


When I had children of my own, they often asked, "Gramma, what's your favorite color?"  Of course, her answer was "BLUE,"  -- naturally, the color that showed most in her decorating choices!


But my favorite color was green, and I swore (to myself) that my home would never be blue.  And then... we moved into a home with blue carpeting  -- in the KITCHEN no less.  First of all, really?  In the kitchen?  and then... really?  BLUE?  I was doomed, because nowhere was it written into our budget that we would be replacing kitchen flooring any time soon.


I fought it.  Really I did.  It has always been my style to have sort of a multi-colored kitchen.  I loved neutral floors and walls, and curtains with many colors to compliment my multi-colored kitchen accessories.  All of this made it easy to change out accessories on a whim.  My plan didn't include anything blue.  Really.  For the longest time.


You know how sometimes, the fight just goes out of you and you decide to embrace something?  Yeah.  Well... I bought some blue towels.  Then some blue pot-holders.  Then I found a pretty melamine plate at Target.  It had a beautiful shade of blue[did I just say that?] for background and included GREEN leaves and YELLOW lemons (really the reason I bought it).  You know what?  All of a sudden there seemed to be a little more of a cohesive feeling in the room.


Then there was the day I discovered blue canning jars. {Read HERE.}  The color struck a chord in me.  For the longest time, I wasn't sure what it was about that color.  Just lately, I happened to think it's because it reminds me of the beautiful shades of seaglass that we used to find on the shores of Lake Erie when our family attended Family Camp in Dunkirk, New York.


Whatever the reason, I'm hooked.  And if you read THIS POST, you know I'm particular about the jars, and don't just buy every one I see.  I don't know that my eye (or brain) is all that discerning.  Truthfully, I don't have a clue.  It's usually my heart that makes the decision.


Just the other day, my daughter said, "Mom, I think you are actually giving in to the BLUE!"
And, it's possible that she might be right.


All I know is this: This is not my mama's blue.
{There's a bit more of a turquoise about it, I think.}



One thing I like to put in canning jars of any color?  Seed packets.  Empty ones, or ones your still dreaming of planting.  Either kind work!  *wink

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I am LOVING that shade of blue. It seems to be popping up all over my house lately so I suppose I'm giving in to it too. It's so refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...