Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesdays Unwrapped 12.11

Once again, I am participating in "tuesdays unwrapped" - where Emily (of Chatting at the Sky) charges us to write about "anything that causes (us) to pause and celebrate the moment.  Not what will be or what is to come, but what is real and true this day: the messy, the lovely, and the unexpected... discovering the gifts in the midst of the ordinary."  I'm hoping that this challenge will keep me focused on the Reason for the season - Jesus Christ, and keep everything else in proper perspective.


Today, I woke up reminded of the tearful phone call of yesterday.  My dear friend's father passed away.  I replayed the tearful twenty-second phone call from my friend in my head.  We sobbed together.  Because, sometimes that's all you can do.  It's real, and it's raw, and it does what words cannot do.  Our comfort?  Knowing her father is with the Lord.  What a gift!

Even so, it hurts to think that the world will keep on turning, and my friend will have to wake up today, and go on as if... well, you know.  If only I could stop the turning for one day, and just let her "catch up" a little in her mind. But, the world goes on.  It goes on for her...

...and for me.

Two kids were delivered without incident to school.  With all of the illnesses that we have had lately, this is a big deal, and I am thankful.  I am reminded of the post I shared LAST WEEK at this time, and am thankful.  Each day without incident is a gift.

As I walk back in the door at home, a text from my son.  (Unexpected.  Didn't I just drop him off?)  He has an issue that (in his mind) is urgent -- but really?  I tell him "wait."  This is not even ON the scale of importance this week.  I text back about how we will handle it later today.

My hubby was at home a little longer this morning as he waited to leave for a routine doctor visit. He was eventually on his way, and shortly thereafter, I received a phone call.  "Guess who DOESN'T have a doctor's appointment today?"  he asked.  Not only was it not today, but, it's all the way in FEBRUARY.  Well that was unexpected.  We laughed  -- because, we don't even begin to know how this happened.


Life is messy sometimes.  We make hopeful plans for the future.  We put importance on the wrong things. We do things way-wrong.  But, the gift is that... we do get to go on today.  The world will continue to spin.

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a GIFT.
That's why it's called it the present.

Jeremiah 29:11(NIV)  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord," plans to prosper you and not to harm you,  plans to give you hope and a future."


Click HERE to read more "tuesdays unwrapped" posts.


1 comment:

  1. i think there is that quote again... and then i read it and know that my heart needs it. yesterday, tomorrow and right now :) every time!

    so sorry for your friend... i had a smiliar call just a couploe of moths ago and oh! it is almost impossibkle to share a hug thru the phone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...