Wednesday, December 12, 2012

To Shop or To Craft. THAT is the Question.

It's possible that I have had so much fun crafting and decorating this year, that I may or may not have remembered to actually do Christmas SHOPPING.  But I'm not panicked or anything... because yesterday, I went out to buy a pair of dress pants for me, and I came home with no less than four Christmas presents.  Oh, and no dress pants for me, by the way.  So, I figure, I'll catch up with the Christmas shopping eventually.  It might even be BEFORE Christmas.  WooHoo!  Wouldn't that be nice?

Well, in the meanwhile... I thought I'd show you another little goody I came up with.

I have an old embroidery hoop of my grandma's.  It used to be in active service when I did counted cross-stitch. But, not so much since my kids have been out of diapers.  Yep.  That's a long time.  I saw it sitting on a shelf the other day, and wondered what I could do with it.


Immediately, I thought of my old hymnal, and wondered if I could combine the two old items -- but the hymnal pages were a little too small to fit in the hoop.  Plus, they would've ripped so easily.  THIS ORNAMENT actually ended up being my inspiration.  I might make these Christmas tree ornaments some day, but for now, I cut trees out (using a cookie cutter) for another purpose.


I stretched red wrapping paper over my hoop, and tightened the top hoop up.  I tucked the edges behind the hoop, so they don't show at all.  <I thought I might cut the raw edge with decorative scissors, but I like the edge hidden.  It gives a more finished look.>


I cut some trees cut out of hymnal pages, outlined them with Elmer's glue, and sprinkled on some Buffalo snow flakes.  I glued two trees to my framed wrapping paper, tied a little red and white twine bow on, and taa-daa.  Easy-peasy.  Oh, I know it's nothing fancy, or difficult.  But, guess what?  It didn't cost me a cent.  And... it looks pretty hanging above my stove.


I couldn't resist stringing up some extra Christmas tree cut-outs with more baker's twine, sprinkling on a few Buffalo snow flakes, and hanging them at the patio door.  Simple.

There's no real snow at our house yet -- and that's okay with me.  I can wait... I wouldn't want anything to slow down my shopping schedule!!!  *wink*


Linking with Mockingbird Hill Cottage, and with:



10 comments:

  1. Hello Sally,
    Well, my friend, you've created another lovely something out of an heirloom. What a precious way to use your grandmother's embroidery hoop! I love it! And I like your hymnal trees glittered up too. Those hymnals are getting a lot of mileage; fabulous!
    Thanks so much for sharing another fantabulous creation at my HOME and enjoy the rest of your week.

    Christmas blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That truly is the question! And tomorrow....I'm shopping! I love the little trees hanging from the baker's twine!

    Have a blessed and wonderful day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did with your embroidery hoop a lot. Do you remember when they had (probably still do) very small hoops for crafting. I think this idea would look sweet as ornaments on a tree as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love the way your incorporated music in your embroidery hoop. Great projects. I'm popping over from Claudia's Favorite Things Saturday. I can certainly understand getting so wrapped with with craft projects that time just gets away from us so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy -- I was much more into crafting this year than shopping, I must say. The time did get away from me, and I did have to do a little scrambling at the end. But, I'm all done now. It's all good. Have a Merry Christmas -- and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love what you've done, so charming!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! What a neat idea. Thanks so much for sharing it with us, Sally.

    Thanks for joining in this week and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea. Also the tree ornaments themselves are nice. Merry Christmas. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping you and yours have a wonderful day together to celebrate the meaning of Christmas ~ faith, family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...