Friday, December 28, 2012

Easy Christmas Gift Tags (do it now)

After Christmas...
What do you do with all of the Christmas cards you received?  Do you lovingly tuck them all away?  I know I don't have room to keep years and years worth of Christmas cards in our small home.

Do you pitch them all in the trash?  What?  Wait!  There is a way to re-purpose them!  This is a real money-saver too!  I haven't bought Christmas gift-tags since... Well, actually, I don't know if I ever have.  Certainly not in years.


Some time after Christmas, I sit down with all of the Christmas cards our family received.  I separate all of the photo cards, and set them aside to include on a few scrapbook pages.  As for the others: I carefully tear off the front, and discard the back -- as there isn't usually anything pretty there to be used for a gift-tag.  Trace circles on the front of the cards -- as many as will fit.  I use my scrapbooking circle template -- but you could use any shape you want, or even just cut strips across the width of the card.  Just make sure you have room to write your "to" and "from" and perhaps a little "Merry Christmas!"  If you're strategic in your placement, you will be able to get a few gift-tags from each card.





If the card is more sentiment than artwork -- well, use that too!


Sometimes, I use my "tag" template as well... although nothing says Christmas gift-tag to me like a circle... just the way my mom used to have my sister and I make them -- by tracing around the top of a drinking glass!


Now, all you need to do is punch a hole, and string some ribbon through to add to your packages or gift-bags.

TaaDaa!  Easy peasy!

Obvious?  Perhaps.

Money-saving?  For sure!

Green?  Oh yeah, baby!

Now, tuck them away in a place where you will find them next year.  Admittedly, this is sometimes the most important step!  I usually keep mine with my wrapping supplies - but I've also been known to toss them in our big ornament tote at the last minute.

Christmas Gift-Tags.  They're a "good thing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S.
Check out the sweet little giveaway going on over at


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Sally - brilliant!!!
    We're off to the beach for four days, but I'm all inspired to make some when I return!!
    A lovely idea!!
    xox
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what an awesome idea!! Now I am excited to check out our Christmas card pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and you know what my Grandma used to do with old cards? She used to make little boxes out of them! One year we decorated our entire tree with the sweetest little card boxes ever.

    Also, Thanks for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...