Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Auction... & Some Amish Cooking!

(...continued from Amish Country Adventure)

Our next stop was the auction area. As we walked closer, we realized how heavy the traffic was, and that something was definitely going on. Not a livestock auction, though. This was different. We followed the crowd. The male crowd... The hatted, black and navy-wearing, German-speaking, male crowd... There was an auction, alright. There were pallets and pallets piled higher than you can imagine with big manly tools.  There were engines and generators -- ones big enough to run everything on our street, my hubby said.  There were tractors and forklifts and the list goes on and on.


My hubby looked at the "toys", and I tried hard not to stare at the culture that was swirling around me. Hundreds and hundreds (oh, and did I say hundreds?) of hatted Amish men in black or navy. If ever there was a time that I wanted to take a picture... but that's a no-no in the Amish culture -- and the tourist pamphlets tell you so.  It was so busy... there was absolutely no way to take a picture without pointing the camera at an Amish person, and so, I refrained.  No worries, there were LOTS of other places around town to take pictures!



What a great day out with my hubby!  I've been to Amish Country many, many times - but never experienced a day like today.  It was really something to see these delightful people in their element!

And... I DID get some delicious Amish cooking afterall!


Here's my tip for the day (you know, for next time you head to Amish Country):  If you want to blend in, rather than stick out like a sore thumb... think dark colors -- not bright purple.  Just sayin'.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...