Friday, December 30, 2011

Random Year-End Tidbits

One.
Winter makes me want to crawl into bed and not come out again until sometime in March.
It has nothing to do with depression,
and everything to do with the fact that I am always cold.
I hate being cold, don't you?
When I'm cold, I drink hot tea, and drink some more, and drink some more
until I feel like I'm floating... and cold again.

Two.
Pinterest is an interesting thing.
I've loved finding ideas and creating things
that I never would've thought of on my own.
It's also a great place to dream, and yet...
the truth is that I find I don't dream very big.
I'm a real skeptic about where all the funding for these dreams will come from.

Three.
Fact:
I never make New Year's resolutions.
I'm more of a random, all-through-the-year,
I-will-try-to-do-this-better
kind of girl.

Four.
Last year, my one-little-word was JOY.
I'm still undecided for 2012.
I might go with TRUST.
The older our kids get, the more I need to do this.
I need to totally set aside the notion that I
can get through the "tough stuff" in my own strength.

Five.
After just over a year of blogging,
my "most read post of all time"
is my 2010 "December Daily Foundation Pages" post.
Of course, it naturally follows that
my biggest traffic source of all time is Ali Edwards (thank you, Ali).
While I am not one to keep track of blogging numbers per se,
checking out the statistics is always fascinating to me.
It's always so interesting to see how people
find their way to my blog.
And, let me say, I am thankful for each one
who has found their way here!
Thanks for humoring me in my efforts!  *wink*

And last, but not least... Six.  A RANDOM act of kindness.

On election day, while my son had a day off school, I made the kids semi-annual dentist appointments.  Before we left, the doctor asked to speak with me.  Turns out my son (who had previously had some work done on his teeth) needed an upgrade to a CROWN on one tooth.  Since the original procedure didn't really "hold," the doctor said he would only charge us the difference between the original procedure and the new one when we came for the crown in December.

Lovely. And fair, I thought.

Well, today was "crown day."  At the end, I was called to the counter for payment, and the office manager reiterated the deal that the doctor had spoken on our last visit.  As she checked our account on her computer screen, she looked up and said, "Oh, you're good to go!  Merry Christmas!"

I was... dumbfounded.  And grateful.  Merry Christmas indeed!

What's the greatest random act of kindness
that you've had bestowed on you?


1 comment:

  1. Ohhh this was soooo wonderful! I really enjoyed reading it. Isn't it great to look back and see how God worked throughout the year?
    I love your "one little word". I usually pray for a Scripture verse to carry throughout the year but haven't received one yet for 2012.
    Blessings and joy for your new year!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...