Wednesday, December 21, 2011

O Come, All Ye Faithful!

There is a gentleman that comes to our worship service on Sunday mornings.  He experiences mild mental retardation, and has child-like qualities.  He loves to sing. Loudly. He is off key... in a MAJOR way. He is often a few beats behind (or ahead of) the rest of the congregation.

People who regularly attend the service are used to hearing him sing in his exuberant fashion. Newcomers, not so much.  Sometimes I see them smile... in wonder, and they look around to see if anyone else has noticed the distraction.  Those who are there weekly are not so distracted.


Every time I hear him sing, I am struck anew...

I don't think God hears my voice raised in worship because I am the loudest.  Or because I am on key.  Or because I can keep up with the beat.

I think it has more to do with the condition of my heart in worship.

And so, when I hear this dear man sing, my pride falls away, and I know that he is being heard first and foremost... Not because he is LOUDEST, or ON KEY, or KEEPING UP with the beat.  But because his heart is in tune with Christ, and the true worship of the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I know a couple of people with very similar situations and know exactly what you mean. It is a good example for us to follow- praising God with our entire hearts and with child-like faith! Merry Christmas!

    http://fivefeetoffun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...