Monday, December 9, 2013

A Christmas Tour of My Kitchen


The other day, my daughter stole my camera and said, "You will thank me for this later."  I was in the other room, and had no idea what she was up to.  But over the weekend, I found these first two photos.

Thank you Shelby.  I love 'em!

And... they are the perfect way to welcome you today.  I'm so glad you're here.  Pull up a chair, and I'll make you a hot drink.  Cocoa?  Tea?  Coffee?  Name it.  We can just sit here and visit, because this is a one-room TOUR.


If you told me that I had to choose only one room to "decorate" for Christmas, I would instantly choose the kitchen.  I could easily forego the Christmas tree, or any of the decorations around the rest of our home -- because our kitchen really is the heart of our home.

The other day, I shared about how I go around the kitchen in a "sweep" to clean up.  I thought I'd circle the kitchen in the same fashion and show you how I've decorated in here.  Let's get started!

My hubby's been trying to eat more oatmeal in the mornings, and I decided to encourage that good habit by putting the oatmeal out in my Tom's marching peanuts jar.  I added some brown sugar to one of my blue jars, and wound some twine around the top to keep a spoon close at hand.  I added some Christmas-y cupcake liners too!  I love it when useful things can be eye candy, don't you?


This is my favorite little corner.  The recipe box that my dad made for me is precious to me, and there are lots of other important things here to get our day started... cereal bowls, mugs, and sugar cubes in a pretty snowy-scened jar.  One lump or two?  [The teabags, cocoa, and marshmallows are nearby.]  



I love the way the sugar cubes peek through this snowy scene!


I have a confession to make... I love straws.  We mostly only use them in the summertime, but I couldn't resist using all the red ones I could find to fill this little pitcher.

   
A few actual candy canes are added too!


This sweet mini-gingerbread house sits atop my recipe box.  My daughter received this as a gift last year, and we tucked it away so we could use it again this year.


One stem of Paperwhites has opened.  The others are still growing!!


On the kitchen table, I have a 3-wick vanilla candle.  I added these red bulbs around the base.  You might remember them from last year and my Hot Beverage Station.


This little ornament hangs from our ceiling fan -- but I took it down to show you.  I don't know why, but it's always been a favorite of mine.  I think it's that special little jingle bell -- it makes it seem like something old and precious.  Santa peeks out of the chimney on the other side!  [I'm pretty sure this was tied onto a gift I received at work years ago!]


I have to keep this Gooseberry Patch cookbook handy, since it has my recipe for Peppermint Patty Brownies in it.  They are requested every year for Christmas day dessert!  The twine and scissors stay close-by too.  They get used for a million things during the holidays!


This is the scene on the top of our microwave.  It just sort of came together as lots of items were laying around waiting for their turn in the decorating cycle.  Gotta love that!



And last but not least, the scene on the bookshelf.  You might remember that this sweet little origami Christmas tree was the First Gift of Christmas a few years ago.  Our red birthday plate gives a pop of color, but also reminds us that we are each special to God -- indeed the reason that he sent his son -- and that we celebrate HIS birthday during this Christmas season.


Thanks for sitting and visiting with me.  I always enjoy it when you stop by.  I pray that God will richly bless you as you strive to seek him this Christmas.

Love, Sally





9 comments:

  1. Your darling girl did a fantastic job capturing so many sweet vignettes around your kitchen! I really like the stations and I think the red bulbs used that way is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a terrific job in decorating the kitchen! Such inspiration! Now I want to get some red & white straws to put in a white pitcher, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, I loved the tour! I agree the kitchen is the heart of the home and yours is very welcoming and festive! :) LOVE that red twine! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a sweet gift from a friend. She folded all of those little origami trees!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the straw love, Sal! I have the striped ones in every color. And I'm afraid to use them because I don't want to run out of a color. I'm a straw hoarder. Same with pretty muffin liners. I only actually use the boring ones from the grocery store and keep the cute ones in a jar on my counter.
    p.s. That suger cube jar? Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so cheerful. I'll be right over for some of that hot cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I'll have a hot cocoa please. Your kitchen decorations look lovely. I really like your sugar cube jar, so pretty. Visiting from the Nesters tour. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily, and Merry Christmas to YOU. I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...