Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Are You Ready?

Ready for the challenge of a new year?


Well, the party's over, and it's time to push my sleeves up and get busy.  How about you?

I found this 52 week Organized Home Challenge, and thought I would give it a whirl for 2012.  You can check out the website each week, or you can have e-mail reminders sent to you.  This week, we're starting with our kitchen countertops and sink.

However, interestingly enough -- yesterday, on our last day of Christmas break, we tackled our basement.  We don't have a finished basement, but we do have a carpeted area with a couch, tv, and computer desk.  The kids play their games down there, and certain people (who shall remain nameless) have been known to disappear down there for a nap!

Anyway, we moved  things around, and purged a LOT.  I am SO guilty of setting things down out of place, and thinking I will get back to it soon to put it away correctly... And then I DON'T.

Yesterday, I worked a lot on putting LIKE THINGS together, and packing them away correctly -- (all the while putting Christmas decorations away as well).  We moved things around so that there is no longer a "dumping ground" table at the bottom of the stairway -- which is a relief to ME, since that dumping ground was also my scrapbooking table.  My sweet hubby and son moved my table over to another corner (nearer the heat register, hello!) that will be cozier.

We worked on having better access to storage shelfs and drawers that had things accumulated in front of them.

We "Goodwilled" some of the kids toys, that they had previously been sort of sentimental about -- but are finally ready to part with.

We shredded a LOT of old records that had been boxed up and pushed to the back of a shelving unit.

All of these things together ended up making it look a lot tidier down there!  It was a really productive day, and now there's no turning back.

Everyone is back at school/work today, and I am off to take care of kitchen stuff.  I might actually get ahead of the game and empty out some cupboards or drawers.  I'm hoping that this will be an EASY area to tackle , since I almost literally LIVE in our kitchen.  We have a small home, and our kitchen is definitely the heart of it.

I'll keep you posted.  In the meantime,

What are YOU up to in the new year?

52 Week Organized Home Challenge
WEEK ONE MISSION: kitchen counter tops and sink


1 comment:

  1. Sounds a lot like my basement. I frequently lose children down there too. Since you're done with your - want to come and do mine? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...