Well, there are two things that I KNOW:
- In big part, a new mom-to-be doesn't have a clue about HALF of the stuff she will need. How do I know this? From personal experience! I was a new mom-to-be once. Suffice it to say that not all of the "needs" make it to the registry!
- A new mommy can ALWAYS use basic personal hygiene items for the baby.
And so, I took that route.
I loved the idea of presenting the gift in some kind of box/basket that will be useful, so I started my shopping in the plastic box and drawer aisle. I found this really neat pink [yes, it's a girl] plastic tote that could be used for a million different things: laundry, toys, books... you name it. Then, I made my way to the baby section of the store. I decided to be really practical. Here's what I selected:
- tub of baby wipes
- large refill pack of baby wipes
- baby wash (hair & body)
- baby wash (nighttime calming)
- baby lotion
- baby lotion (nighttime calming)
- baby oil
- cotton swabs
- A+D diaper ointment
- set of bath scoops/strainers (this WAS on the registry, I confess!)
It's worth mentioning that I chose all store-brand products. Each of the items that I picked out had a national brand item sitting right next to it, but the store-brand was much cheaper, which meant I could buy more within my budgeted dollar amount!!
While I was at the store, I grabbed two packs of pink/white tissue paper, and a big pink curly bow. I knew that once these gift items started getting opened, the mystery of what the rest was... well, wouldn't be much of a mystery any more. So, I decided not to wrap up each item. Instead, I just folded a pink and white piece of tissue paper around each item, and stood it up in the tote. I remember having leaking boxes of wipes at my shower -- so I was more careful with them, and did not stand them on end, but rather on top of one another. As for the ribbon, I pealed the paper off the sticky area, and folded that sticky square over the edge of the tote. TaaDaa!
I love that the whole thing is self-contained, and that my niece will have an easy way to transport these goodies home.
Practical and pretty!