Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Gift of Words

I know that sometimes my sweet son thinks I talk too much, explain too much, and give too many (potentially obvious) details.  He likes to tease me, and call me "C.O."  That stands for Captain Obvious (some of you may recognize that name from some comedian whose name I can't remember, but with whom my son is familiar).  Consequently, sometimes I feel like what I say goes in one ear, and out the other.

My defense?  Well  #1 - I'm a mom.  Isn't that what we moms do?  Help me out here, ladies.  And #2 - I am a former homeSCHOOLing mom -- so I'm used to always explaining myself, and making sure my kids understand things.

Well, if you follow along here at my blog, you know that my son had a hydroplaning experience the other day and his car is... not drive-able.  Tonight, he and my daughter were to help out at church, so they came home from school today wondering how they would get to church without a car.

Of course, I had already thought of this, and was planning to let them take my van.  When I mentioned it, it seemed to surprise my son a little.  Wondering if he was still a little leery about driving after the accident, I asked him about it.  He said he was okay with driving.


I got to thinking that maybe he thought we wouldn't let him drive, or that we thought he shouldn't drive.  So later, I said to him, "You know, this should go without saying... but maybe it doesn't, and maybe you need to hear it, so I'm going to say it...

...Dad and I know that what happened the other day was an accident, and that you're a good driver.  I have no problem with you taking my van tonight.  N-O-N-E.  [He thanked me.]  The only thing that I would say is that today's driving conditions are..."

And he finished the sentence for me... "just like the day of the accident!"

Exactly.  So we talked about that, and then the conversation was over.  And my son seemed a little... relieved.

I think maybe he was glad that we had this little talk.  Perhaps this time, what I had to say might have been especially important for him to hear.

I know this... it didn't go in one ear and out the other.


Today, I am thankful for:
1. cloudy days (like the last several!) that make me appreciate the sun
2. the power of words
3. my daughter's excitement in attending an after-school Bible study

Thought: We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder

2 comments:

  1. Teens. I hear you. Sometimes I feel like background noise. So glad he heard you this time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...