Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Holy Guacamole!

The other day, avocados were on sale at the grocery store for $1, and I couldn't resist.  I'm the only one at our house that will eat avocados, so I got to enjoy them as an afternoon treat -- unchallenged.  There's not much you can say THAT about in this house.

halved avocado with pit

Once the pits were removed and cleaned, I wanted to see if I could get them to sprout.  We tried this once during a summer years ago.  It took a L-O-N-G time!

avocado pit

So, I cleaned up the two pits, and planted them in some potting soil in a cute little green pot in my kitchen. Because, duh -- that's how you grow things, right?

Apparently, not so much when it comes to avocados.  I started looking around on Pinterest to see if anyone else had gotten the bright idea to try this -- and discovered that I had gone about it all wrong.

avocado pits

Turns out, I was supposed to insert toothpicks into the pit, and suspend it over a glass filled with water that covers the bottom portion of the pit.  Only after it sprouts this way do you put it in soil.

So now, my dilemma becomes this: just how much of a science experiment do I actually want to DO?  Do I want to prove everyone wrong, and sprout my avocado pit in SOIL with all of the odds against it?

To be continued...

planting avocado pits


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...