Monday, April 4, 2011

For the Birds

So, I'm not exactly sure when I'll be taking down my Christmas wreath this year.  I usually leave it up through January since it's really just greenery and berries with a little ribbon.  But, snowfall after snowfall kept me from stepping out the front door to grab it.  Plus -- I don't like to put up a spring-time wreath until I can feel a little more confident about it.  That said, my Christmas wreath is still up.

The other day, while waiting for a friend to arrive, we had the front door open.  My daughter and I noticed some birds diving under the roofline of our little front porch.  We couldn't imagine what was happening until we looked closer.

Hmmm.  Doesn't look like I'll be taking this Christmas wreath down anytime soon.


 Speaking of birds, have you heard this expression?
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
It crossed my mind today as I was thinking about birds in the wreath.
Ever wonder what it really means?

Meaning:  It's better to have a small real advantage
than the possibility of a greater one.  (Source)

And here's a bit of interesting information.
Have you ever put dryer lint out for the birds to use as nesting material?
I recently learned that this is a no-no!

Dryer lint is not recommended for nesting material
because detergent residue can be harmful to the birds,
and the lint doesn't hold up well when wet.

Oh, I'm just full of interesting trivia today, aren't I?
You're welcome, and you're welcome. (ha!)

Update:  Just spotted these ADORABLE
Spring Bird Nest Cookies
@ The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle! 
You won't believe how cute they are.
Check 'em out! 


3 comments:

  1. I had a large wreath on my porch in the city and when we put the house on the market in the spring a bird built a nest there. Scared off a few prospective home buyers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had birds build nests in our wreath on the front door -- and then my kids are so careful when they open the door because they're terrified a bird will fly at them!

    Cute picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww baby birds are way better than a Spring wreath, and really what is more Spring than baby birds!!!!! So really you have a Spring wreath. Hope you are having a great week.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...