Friday, January 23, 2015

BEST Brussel Sprouts (trust me)

Do you like brussel sprouts?  I have only recently learned to love them.  This shouldn't really come as a surprise to me, since I am a broccoli lover from way back, and they are so similar in flavor.

I've tried roasting them on a cookie sheet with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and they are delicious -- but, the other night, I outdid that method.  For some reason, I decided to put them in a foil packet.  This is just a method of steaming [the brussel sprouts] to tender perfection.  There are probably a kazillion recipes out there, but I didn't even look.  I just did my own thing, and I'm sharing what worked for me.


Preheat your oven to 450F.  To prepare the brussel sprouts: rinse them well and remove the outer leaves.  Cut off the stem-end, and cut them in half to [theoretically] make the cooking time shorter.



Place the cut brussel sprouts on an extra-long sheet of foil.  I sprinkled them with a little olive oil, some sea salt, and freshly ground pepper, just like when I roast them.  [You could also add a little lemon juice, or any spices that you enjoy.]


Then, fold the foil in half over the brussel sprouts.  Fold up and crimp the three open sides.  Place directly on the oven rack, and "bake" for about 20-25 minutes at 450F.  Carefully slit the foil with a knife [beware the steam!], and test for done-ness with a sharp knife or a fork.

Not rocket science, just crimp edges tightly.

The result is super-tender, melt-in-your-mouth, flavorful brussel sprouts.  No tough spots or hard edges.  Just pure deliciousness!

I didn't take any pictures when I made them the first time.  After tasting the result, I knew that I wanted to share the idea with you -- and my mouth has been watering just thinking about making them again.  The second time did not disappoint!


Also... I read some interesting information about brussel sprouts HERE.  Imagine that by steaming them, you "up" their cholesterol-lowering power!  Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Good to know that last tidbit!.... I might just have to incorporate them into our diets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video game soundtrack | Vectors Media
    Watch videos about VR, free, interactive & realistic music. Watch VR movies online, view original music and more. SoundCloud youtube to mp3 converter samsung · Stream · Zoom · Media · View

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...