Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Telling Time... Or Not!

I just had to share my funniest experience in being a seller at the flea market:

There are farms around the flea market that employ Mexican migrant workers.  A non-English speaking Dad and his 7 yr. old daughter came to browse our items while my hubby and daughter had taken a walk.  Imagine this:  this man is down on his haunches checking out the sub-woofer and 5 accompanying speakers that my hubby is selling -- and looking to ME to answer his questions.  [Truly.  You have no idea how funny this is!]  So, he gets his sweet little girl (precious in silver princess dress-up heels) to ask me some questions.  Yes, this is for a computer.  Yes, I will take $25.  Yes -- all five speakers go with it.  No, I don't know if it needs additional cords.  The little girl became too embarrassed to continue translating, and I thought how awkward our conversation must seem to onlookers.  She was speaking in a language that was in great part foreign to her, and I was speaking about something that I knew nothing about.  Eventually, the man's friend came along and helped us very slightly with the translation.  Enough to say they will pay, and can they pick their purchases up in ONE HOUR, as they have just arrived and started their shopping?  Something like that... with ever-so-much more of an accent.

Glad to oblige, I look at my watch.  Just before ONE.  Fine.  The friend indicates that they will return by TWO to pick up their purchases.  In fact, they did return, early, and with big smiles on their faces.  I'm dying to know just what they were planning to hook up when they got home, because the smiles on their faces were HUGE!  It made me laugh.  Pretty sure I'd never get that excited about a sub-woofer.  They gathered all their goodies, and delivered them to their vehicle a few spaces down the row.  At which time, I looked at my watch. It was a little before TWELVE.  Huh?  Did we just lose an hour?  Or do I not know how to tell time any better than those buyers knew how to speak English?  I laughed at myself, because I didn't have a clue what had just happened.  Except perhaps I looked at my watch so quickly, and that darn second hand just got in the way...

Actually, I think I had just been out in the sun too long.
Yep.  Let's go with that.

3 comments:

  1. How funny!

    The flower you asked about is centaurea montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a case of sunstroke at the market! I'll bet his little girl looked adorable in her silver princess dress-up heels! I love seeing little girls dress like that, they just looks so precious!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I love company and new friends are always welcome!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun story! I'd love to have seen that scene in person - that little girl in her princess heels and all. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...