Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Food for Thought: Forgiveness

I'm always amazed to watch people who have been dealt difficult circumstances, or have outrightly been wronged respond in a way that indicates only grace.  We all like to think that we would respond in an appropriate and grace-FULL manner when things get tough, but how can we really say for sure... until we are thrust into bad circumstances?

This quote caught my eye the other day, and I felt compelled to share it:

"Refusing to forgive is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
~ Dr. Jim Dincalci



I remember one time in high school... being in the throes of dramatic friendship issues.  I swore I would never forgive someone.  It consumed me.  I remember my mom trying to comfort me, and encouraging me to forgive the person who had wronged me.  Hate and lack of forgiveness use SO MUCH OF OUR ENERGY, and WE are the ones who ultimately suffer most.  With only so much energy to go around, isn't it better spent on something more productive?


Colossians 3:13 (NIV)
"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.
Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

And there's the key.  I am forgiven.  Not deserving, mind you.  But, forgiven nevertheless.

And so who am I (other than the already mentioned "undeserving") to withhold forgiveness from anyone else? Truly.

Food for thought.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...