Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's for Dinner? (Calzones)

We enjoyed Calzones last night for dinner, and I was reminded how easy they are.  I originally found this recipe in Once-A-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson & Mary Beth Lagerborg.  At the time our kids were little, and they couldn't remember the word "calzone" - so we told them we were having inside-out PIZZA.  That they understood.

I've adjusted the recipe a little over the years -- making it work for our family.  I should say that I've never done the once-a-month cooking -- I just have the book.  There are a handful of recipes I use from this book though, so it was worth it!



Calzones
1-2 rolls pizza crust (you know, like Pillsbury, in the dairy section)
-OR- use your own pizza dough recipe.
your family's favorite spaghetti sauce
your family's favorite pizza toppings (We've used pepperoni, green peppers, olives...)
mozzarella cheese - shredded

I have found that I can get 6-8 calzones out of one roll of dough.  So, adjust your shopping list according to how many calzones you need, and how big you want them to be.

I roll the dough out on my rectangular stone, and cut into 6-8 squares.  Place preferred "toppings" (but not sauce) on the squares, and fold in half -- straight across, or diagonally, like a turnover.  Pinch edges to seal.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake calzones for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.  Heated spaghetti sauce can either be ladled over the top, or to the side for dipping.

[Some of you might be wondering about putting some sauce inside.  We've tried that.  The results weren't disastrous, but the calzones were a little soggy.]

Enjoy!
What's for dinner at your house?
What's your "go-to" recipe when you need something easy? 


2 comments:

  1. I actually plan to make calzones this week for dinner. I'm not sure what I'm cooking tonight, something fairly fast---since we have errands to run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sal! Made these a couple weeks ago and I've been meaning to leave a comment. Yours look way better than mine looked, but they were tasty all the same. Thanks for the fun/easy recipe. Never would have thought to make calzones at home. Also, great tip about not putting the sauce on the inside. I probably would have if I ever came up with the idea to make them myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...