Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hungarian Goulash To Share!

This recipe is from my mom -- and I believe came from her mom before her.  No, we aren't Hungarian, but that's what the recipe is called, and we've always gone with it.  What I love about it is... for our family of four, I make the complete recipe, and divide it between two casseroles.  We eat one, and freeze one.  OR, it's a great recipe to make when you have to deliver a meal to someone.  You can make your dinner at the same time you make theirs!

Now, here's a question for you, the reader.
This is a pasta casserole, and I freeze it.
Would you freeze a similar casserole with RICE?
I'm assuming the rice is cooked of course -- or not.  You tell me. 

Otherwise, ENJOY the recipe:

Hungarian Goulash
1 lb. ground round, browned & drained
1 T. dehydrated onion, or 1 medium onion chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
about 6 slices of bacon (I use pre-cooked.  Just microwave & chop into bits.)
2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can tomato juice

(Note items that are cooked ahead.)  Combine all ingredients, mixing well, and bake covered at 350° for 60-90 minutes.  


POST SCRIPT: After my mom read this post, she called me to say... "We NEVER called it HUNGARIAN Goulash!"  Apparently a traditional Hungarian recipe would use different seasonings, etc.  Mom's recipe does not say "Hungarian," and she's sure Grandma's didn't either... So, I have no idea where I got the idea (years ago when I copied the recipe) to label it Hungarian Goulash.  Just plain GOULASH it is.  Either way, enjoy the recipe.  It's easy, and it makes a lot.

Also:  you learn something new every day.  LOL


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one, and truly enjoy "conversations" with you! ~Sally

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...